Hearty Winter Stew
Who needs beef when a stew made from fresh vegetables can be this rich and flavorful? With generous chunks of potatoes, carrots, and portobello mushrooms, this decadent comfort food promises to sustain you through the chilliest of winter nights. Red wine and blended potatoes created a creamy vehicle for transporting the savory essences of fresh rosemary and dried spices. Feed this to your skeptical carnivore, and you may just create a WFPB convert!
Hearty Winter Stew
- 1 1/2 large yellow onions large dice
- 3 stalks celery large dice
- 1 medium bell pepper large dice
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup red wine I like Pinot Noir
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 4 medium carrots cuthalf lengthwise then sliced across into 1/4-inch slices. (Divided. Set one of the sliced carrots to the side.)
- 3 portobello mushrooms cut into 1/2-inch slices, then cut across into thirds
- 1 cup shiitake mushrooms dried, rehydrated in water in microwave for 1 minute. Reserve water.
- 4 large Yukon gold potatoes cut into ¾-inch chunks (Divided. Set one of the cut-up potatoes to the side.), skins on
- 1 1/2 cups green peas frozen, thawed
Herbs & Spices
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano dried
- 1 teaspoon Basil dried
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme dried
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon rosemary fresh, finely chopped
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- parsley fresh, chopped as a garnish
- rosemary fresh, a few sprigs as a garnish
- In a large, hot sauce pan, add onions, bell pepper, and celery. Stirring frequently, sauté until caramelized, or a golden brown. Add water, a tablespoon at a time, to prevent scorching (about 10 minutes).
- Stir in garlic and sauté for another two minutes.
- Add both types mushrooms, the reserved mushroom liquid, three cut-up potatoes, and one cup water. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer for about 5 minutes, then add three slice carrots. Continue to simmer for another four minutes.
- In a separate smaller saucepan, boil one large cup-up potato and one of the sliced carrots in 1/2 inch water until tender. Transfer to the carafe of a high-powered blender. Add wine, soy sauce, and tomato paste. Blend until you have a creamy consistency. Stir into large saucepan with mushroom/carrot/potato mixture to thicken.
- Add another cup water to the blender and pulse to release the remaining potato/carrot mixture from the blender carafe. Add this to the stew.
- Stir in dried herbs and spices, and thawed peas. Simmer for three to five minutes or until peas are tender. Stir in fresh rosemary.
- Garnish with fresh rosemary and loosely chopped fresh parsley. Serve hot with crusty slices of whole grain bread.
Below are the equipment and products I used in this recipe. Click on the photo to order yours through my affiliate link with Amazon.com, for which I receive a small advertising fee. Please visit my Store for more information.