Beyond Sausage Subs
Still can’t convince your family and friends to try a plant-based lifestyle? Your carnivorous friends will be blown away by the similarity of Beyond Sausage to the real thing. These subs cook up quickly and will satisfy the most meat-entrenched dinner guests. This is not a low-fat meal, however, so it’s a good idea to eat this on only special occasions. It’s a great transition food for those on the fence about going Plant-based. Beyond Beef’s Beyond Sausage can be found in most markets these days and come in Hot Italian, and the milder Brat, and Sweet Italian sausages. Any of these can be used in this recipe.
Beyond Sausage Subs
- 2 Beyond Sausage links
- 24 ounces canned tomatoes
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons Basil dried
- 1/2 Tablespoon Oregano dried
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- Preheat Oven to 400 ºF
- Cut sausages in half lengthwise. I like to remove the skins but that is optional. Place cut side down in a non-stick pan. Cook at high heat until brown, turning as necessary.
- At the same time place 24 ounces of canned tomatoes in a large skillet. Put on medium high heat.
- Add spices and cook at a fast simmer, almost a boil and reduce to almost a paste.
- When the sausages are brown add them to the sausage mixture. If you want to reduce the fat in this dish carefully lift the sausages out and add them to the sauce. If you are making this for meat eaters or you just want to add flavor add the oil as well.
- When the oven comes to temperature set the bread on a baking stone or an open rack. Set the timer for 5 minutes or as directed on the package.
- Check the doness of the bread by taping on it for a hollow sound.
- Once its done cut the loaf in half lengthwise and in two equal pieces. Add two halves of sausage and an ample amount of sauce to each piece. Serve hot.
Below are the equipment and products I used in this recipe. Click on the photo to order yours through my affiliate link with Amazon.com, for which I receive a small advertising fee. Please visit my Store for more information.