Chef Del Sroufe (Forks Over Knives Cookbook), Danielle Bussone (Time For Change: Whole Foods For Whole Health!) & Paula Galan, Global Roots Videographer and Webmaster
First bite of Del’s carrot dog!
Chef Del Sroufe Has Created Carrot Dogs That Actually Taste Like Hot Dogs!
- 6 large carrots peeled, ends trimmed
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup tamari
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1/2 teaspoon mace
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 recipe Lentil Chili The China Study Family Cookbook
- Bring a 2-quart pot of water to a boil. Add the carrots and bring the pot back to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and let the carrots simmer 8 to 10 minutes, or until they are tender (how long this takes depends upon the size of your carrots). Remove the carrots from the water and rinse them under cool water to stop the cooking.
- While the carrots are cooking, combine the water, tamari, red wine vinegar, garlic, mustard powder, coriander, granulated onion, mace smoked paprika, and black pepper in a baking dish. Add the carrots to the dish and cover the dish with plastic. Refrigerate the carrots overnight (for at least 12 hours) to marinade.
- To cook the hot dogs, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the carrots and the marinade. Cook the carrots for about 10 minutes, or until most of the marinade has evaporated, and the dogs have started to brown.
- Serve in a bun with your favorite toppings.