Hui Kitchen’s Chinese Braised Bok Choy with Shiitake Mushrooms
This is the second dish taught to me by Chef Hui of Hui’s Kitchen in Santiago, Spain. Rich and I were starving for fresh vegetables. We discovered that few restaurants along the Camino de Santiago offer freshly cooked vegetables. Once we discovered Hui’s Kitchen, we dined there every day during our last week in Europe. This delicious recipe of fresh Bok Choy is a perfect accompaniment to Chef Hui’s braised eggplant dish. It cooks up in minutes and is so yummy.
This recipe yields enough for one serving. While you may certainly double this recipe to serve two, it is not a good idea to try to cook for three or more people at one time. To maintain the quality of the dish, and because this recipe cooks up so quickly, it is better to make additional servings in separate one or two serving batches.
Hui Kitchen's Authentic Chinese Braised Bok Choy with Shiitake Mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil or other mild tasting oil, for cooking
- 1-2 dried Shiitake Mushrooms rehydrated and sliced
- 1 large handful Baby Bok Choy washed and left whole
- 1 head larger more mature Bok Choy for the green leaves, cut across into 1/2 inch strips
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth or water
- Dash salt
- 1 teaspoon rice wine
- 1 teaspoon msg (optional)
- 1 teaspoon sunflower oil to preserve color
- Heat the pan and add enough oil to coat. Pour off excess oil and add back a tablespoon of sunflower oil.
- Add minced garlic and water or vegetable broth. Constantly move the vegetables around the hot pan to prevent scorching and for even cooking.
- Add mushrooms, followed by the Bok Choy and some water or vegetable broth.
- Add salt to taste and msg. (Both are optional)
- In the last moment, just before serving, add another teaspoon of oil. This is to preserve the bright color of the vegetable.
- Serve with a bowl of hot brown rice.
Below are the equipment and products I used in this recipe. Click on the photo to order yours through my affiliate link with Amazon.com, for which I receive a small advertising fee. Please visit my Store for more information.