Hui Kitchen’s Authentic Chinese Braised Eggplant with Tree Mushrooms
I learned to make this dish from Chef Hui at Hui Kitchen in Santiago, Spain. Rich and I were starving for fresh vegetables, having discovered that few restaurants along the Camino de Santiago offer freshly cooked vegetables. Once we discovered Hui’s Kitchen, we dined there every day during our last week in Europe. We especially loved this spicy eggplant dish and were thrilled when Chef Hui welcomed us into his kitchen to teach us how to prepare this quick and flavorful recipe.
This recipe comes together quickly, so be sure to have your ingredients organized and your vegetables prepped. You won’t have time to search for your ingredients once you begin cooking.
Hui Kitchen's Authentic Chinese Braised Eggplants with Tree Mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil or canola oil
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon red pepper paste
- 1 - 2 cups water
- 1 -2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine or any dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon msg optional
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 red bell pepper 3/8-inch dice
- 1/4 green bell pepper 3/8-inch dice
- 1-2 long Asian eggplants cut into 2-inch strips about 3/8-inch thick
- 1 cup rehydrated dried tree ear mushrooms 1/3 cup dried. Once rehydrated, clip off tough stems and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 teaspoon - 1 tablespoon Potato starch with 1/4 cup water
- Prepare rice in advance.
- Add oils to pan until hot. Stir in ginger and red pepper paste. Stir in broth and bring to a near boil.
- Stir in soy sauce, salt, msg, sugar, and rice wine. Add eggplants, and cook until half tender*. Add peppers, and mushrooms. Cook until done, adding extra water if needed. At this time add the rice vinegar.** When the eggplants are tender, stir some water into the potato starch until smooth. Stir into eggplant mixture and allow to thicken. Cook for another minute or two until the starch turns a translucent color and the mixture is about the consistency of a light syrup. Plate and serve with hot rice.
Below are the equipment and products I used in this recipe. Click on the photo to order yours through my affiliate link with Amazon.com, for which I receive a small advertising fee. Please visit my Store for more information.
Marukan Seasoned Rice Vinegar 12 Oz
Qian Hu Chinese Shaohsing Rice Cooking Wine (Red) - 750ml
Ac'cent All Natural Flavor Enhancer, 4.5 Ounce (MSG)
Conimex Sambal Oelek (Hot Chilli Paste) (6 oz)